Friday, January 25, 2008

Ticket to ride


Depending on which train I catch, I end up on either the type that has funky Tardis-style loos and dedicated cycle spaces or the one with loos that have just enough room to swing an aerosol and mixed cycle space and seating.

Unfortunately I was on the train that allows you to park you bike in an area that four people could flip down a seats were there no bikes there. Experience has shown me that non-cycling commuters don’t like this. Especially if you ask them to move to accommodate your bike.

This evening, on a relatively empty train i.e. nobody playing “sardines” in the vestibule, a commuter swore at my bike. Like it was a dog he could kick out of his favourite armchair before it skulked off to sit mournfully by the back door. Perhaps he couldn’t easily identify an owner – I was travelling incognito. No Dayglo, no Lycra. If he’d looked carefully he’d have spotted my gloves read “Gore Bike Wear” – I know, but the embroidered lettering is too closely stitched to allow unpicking.

In fairness Mr Overworked Angry Commuter has a point. Why should my bike deprive him of a seat? After all I only pay for one seat, why should I effectively take up five?

No comments: